Walk into this scenic wilderness and you’ll understand why hundreds of people are opposed to development proposed here.
Located in the heart of the Purcell Mountains, Jumbo pass presents some impressive views of glaciers, moraines and peaks in a panoramic direction. The trail contours through a beautiful mountain hemlock forest and opens up into small natural clearings full of wildflowers as you ascend into the alpine, where mountain goats are tucked away on high vertical ridges above you.
- 8.4 km (5.2 mi) round trip
- 686 m (2250 ft) elevation gain
- Trail head is northeast of Kaslo
We will choose an area that best meets your experience and interest. Contact your guide by phone or email the evening before for meeting location.
- Meet your guide between 7:00-8: 00 am at a predetermined location, sign waivers and check gear
- Drive up to the hiking trailhead, return time-based on distance from Nelson or Kaslo.
Programs are for hikers who have some previous hiking experience or fitness that would allow for 4-6 hours of hiking. Guests are responsible to self evaluate their skills as groups need to be matched together based on prior experience and ability. Please contact us to discuss your background and what kind of tour would suit you best.
Kootenay weather can vary drastically. In summer you expect temperatures to be from 8 C to 28C in the day while overnight temperature can drop dramatically in the high alpine, even below zero. Visibility could be subalpine or whiteout conditions when raining heavily or snowing or clear on bluebird days. Ensure you are dressed for all variations as temperatures, wind, precipitation can change within the day.
- Pre-trip planning support
- Fully certified ACMG guide service
- Group safety equipment (communication device, rescue kit, first aid supplies, GPS, maps)
Not included in price:
- Lunch, snacks
- Personal equipment
- Transportation costs
- Trip cancellation, adventure travel insurance, medical insurance
Where can I purchase personal and safety equipment?
We have some equipment available for rent, contact us. If you’d like to buy gear consider outdoor stores in Nelson that supply service and quality outdoor equipment and gear rental, please ensure you rent/buy gear well in advance.
Rivers Oceans and Mountains 354-2056 www.roamshop.com
Valhalla Pure Outfitters 354-1006 www.shop.vpo.ca