Custom Ski Traverses
Custom Ski Traverses
Let us organize you a dreamy ski traverse...
Let us know about your dream ski traverse! We have the expertise and experience in co-creating custom ski traverses. We regularly create such custom programs in Western Canada, the Arctic and beyond.
Here are some possibilities:
- Northern Selkirk Ski Traverse
- Cariboo Mountain Ski Traverse
- Bugaboos to Rogers Pass Ski Traverse
- Monarch Icefield Ski Traverse
- Stikine Icecap Ski Traverse
- Juneau Iceacap Ski Traverse
- Baffin Island Ski Traverse
Let us know if one of these appeal or if you have another exciting location in mind.
We generally organize 6-10 custom ski traverses. Every ski traverse has it own logistics and itinerary. We look forward to working with you and your group in customizing a suitable trip based on desired location.
Custom ski traverses are an advance program. Prior overnight backcountry ski touring experience, preferably winter camping, and a minimum of advanced downhill skiing skills are required.
Guests are responsible to self evaluate their skills as groups need to be matched together based on prior experience and ability. Please contact us to discuss your background and options.
Custom trip location.
Trip location dependent.
- Pre-trip planning support
- Fully certified IFMGA guide and /or ACMG Ski guide service
- All Breakfasts and Dinners while on the trip
- Tents, Group shelter and Cooking equipment for winter camping
- Group safety equipment (communication device, rescue kit, first aid supplies, GPS, maps)
Not included in price:
- individual lunches, snacks
- GST 5% tax
- Personal ski touring boots, skis, skins or splitboard
- personal avalanche safety equipment
- Transportation to meeting location
- additional charges to due changes in itinerary or group number
- Trip cancellation, adventure travel insurance, medical insurance
Where can I rent Ski touring and safety equipment?
Summit Mountain Guides has a limited amount of winter safety equipment available for rental. Contact us for availability. You equipment rental needs must be attended prior to the trip in a larger center. Contact us for more info.
Skis, Telemark or Split Boards?
Which should you use? If you are a downhill skier then you should use Alpine Touring gear. Only if you are already an advanced Telemark skier or Snowboarder should you bring Telemark or Split Board gear. All types of gear can be rented in Nelson prior to your day trip. There are three types of backcountry systems you can use:
Alpine Touring skis are essentially downhill skis with a special touring binding which allows the heel to lift whilst going uphill or across the flats and then ‘locks down’ to become a regular downhill safety binding. We recommend this system to anyone with a background of downhill skiing who is not already an advanced telemark skier.
Telemark skis. These should only be used for this program if you are at least an advanced-intermediate telemark skier with some backcountry experience. This system is more difficult and less forgiving than the others.
Snowboarding with a Split Board is the most effective way to snowboard in the back country. We recommend this system to advanced snowboarder over snowshoeing.