May 7, 2023
May 21, 2023
Custom Day Programs April to October. Individuals, families & groups welcome
Cost per person based on guide to guests ratio:
For indoor climbers looking at gaining outdoor rock climbing skills...
A 1-day course focused on basic safety for outdoor top-rope climbing practices with an introduction to lead and multi-pitch climbing standards.
This course is available throughout Western Canada, contact us with a desired location. Our West Kootenay courses take place at one of the many great outdoor rock climbing sites in the Nelson & Castlegar area.
Day 1: 8:00 AM meeting at local climbing site
- Welcome, introduction, goals & agenda.
- Issue of required gear & review
- Introduce/review knots, basic belay systems and belay calls
- Climbing, rappelling & lowering
- Basic top roping anchor skills
- Lead belaying skills
- Lead & multi-pitch climbing intro
Day 2 option: 8:00 AM meeting at local climbing site
- This extra day is available for those interested in further developing their skills. Customize your learning on a multi pitch climb, do a specific skills clinic or a more advance skills.
This is a beginner to intermediate program for climbers wishing to make a safe transition from indoor climbing to outdoor rock climbing.
Previous gym climbing experience is required, outdoor climbing aspirations is very useful!
The group will be meeting with the instructor at 8:00 AM of the 1st day at pre-establish outdoor rock climbing site. We will go over last minute equipment issues, review the planed itinerary and update you with present conditions.
Spring and fall temperatures in the West Kootenays can vary wildly from 0C to +20C during the day. Conditions can change from warm sunshine to isolated showers quickly. Ensure you are dressed for all variations as temperatures, wind and precipitation tends to change within the day.
Summer (July and August) tend to be more predictable but can be very hot. The average mid-day temperature in the summer usually ranges from +20C to +30C. A lightweight rain and/or wind shell can come in petty handy in the event of an afternoon thundershowers. Be sure to pack a ball cap, sunglasses along with sunscreen and extra water during the summer season, see equipment list for specific details.
- Pre-course planning support
- Fully certified IFMGA and/or ACMG Alpine Guide or Rock Guide services
- 25 years of experience in the area
- Alternative plan based on current conditions
- technical gear including harnesses, helmets, belay device and rock shoes (or use your own)
- Rope use & all technical equipment
- Park permits and Liability Insurance
- Emergency response plan
- Group safety equipment
Services NOT included:
- 5% GST tax
- personal clothing *see equipment list for more details
- personal lunch & snacks
- wilderness permits if in a national parks
- travel to meeting location and accommodation prior to field portion trip
- trip interruption, cancellation insurance or medical insurance
- additional costs incurred if changes made to itinerary due to weather
How experienced do I need to be?
On this course, candidates will benefit from a year or two of periodic gym climbing. If you have lots of gym climbing experience along with some outdoor rock climbing experience, the advance rock course may be more beneficial for you. Please feel free to contact us in this regard.
Is it safe?
For all of our climbing programs and courses, SMG provides you with fully certified IFMGA/ACMG Mountain, alpine and rock guides. This guaranties you the highest safety standards in the industry. Rock climbing remains hazardous and while it is impossible to eliminate all the hazards, our guides will maximize your experience and greatly minimize the risks involved.
Can I rent some of the rock climbing equipment needed during the programs?
On this program we offer participants access to all the technical climbing and rescue gear at no extra charge. This includes; harnesses, helmets, rock shoes, belay device, carabineers and much more. Contact us for specific sizes and availability.
Where can I rent/buy climbing & outdoor equipment?
Here are a few outdoor stores in Nelson that supply good service and quality outdoor equipment and gear rental, please ensure you rent gear well in advance.
ROAM shop www.roamshop.com
Valhalla Pure Outfitters www.shop.vpo.ca