April 10-15, 2023
This UNESCO world heritage site is renowned for it large glaciers and iconic summits...
This area of the Bernise Alps is located just south of Grindelwald, Switzerland, home of the famous Eiger north face.
Bernise Alps offers the most extensive glaciations in the Alps along with consistently deeper snowpack. The peaks here are high, iconic and aesthetic for ski touring and ski mountaineering.
This trip is ideal for intermediate to advanced ski touring experience. Our 6-day programs are available from mid-April to mid-May.
6day program itinerary:
Day 1: Meet with your guide(s) for trip briefing, equipment check, and dinner. We will spend the night in a Grindelwald Hotel.
Day 2: Train to Jungfraujoch, 3500m ski down to 3200m on the JungfrauFirn; up to Touriohorn NE face to 3700m; down Kran Berfirn to Grosser Aletsch Firn to 2800m then up to Hollandia Hutte at 3240m.
Day 3: Up the Abeniflue Firn to Abeni Flue at 3950m; ski down to Grosser Aletshfirn to Concordia Hutte at 2850m.
Day 4: Up the Gross Grunhorn at 4060m then continue over to the Finsteraarhorn Hut at 3050m.
Day 5: Climb Agassizhorn at 3900m or Finterarhorn 4300m and ski back to Finsteraarhorn Hutte.
Day 6: Climb Gross Wannenherd at 3950m and/or Wysnollen at 3600m then back to Finsteraarhorn Hutte.
Day 7: Ski to Vordgalmihorn at 3520m and down a long 2000m run via the Bachital Valley to Gluringen for taxi or train to Brig, pick up stored luggage and overnight at hotel.
Day 8: Group breakfast and individual travel back home.
This is an intermediate to advance program. Guests are responsible to self evaluate their skills as groups need to be matched together based on prior experience and ability.
Prior experience with Summit Mountain Guides helps you anticipate the difficulty and style of our program. It is an asset. Please contact us to discuss your background.
The group will be meeting with the guide in Grindelwald the day before the trip start. We will go over last-minute equipment issues, go over last minute changes (weather & avalanche conditions) and logistic for the following day(s). We will also sign a liability waiver.
Spring mountain weather in the Alps can vary wildly from -15C to +10C in the day. Visibility may be poor with whiteout conditions when snowing heavily or clear on bluebird days. Ensure you are dressed for all variations as temperatures, wind and precipitation can change within the day.
- Pre-trip planning support for travel route, accommodation, pre-trip skiing ideas
- Fully certified IFMGA guide service
- All hut fees with Breakfast and Dinners
- Guide expenses of travel, accommodation, lift
- Group safety equipment (communication device, rescue kit, first aid supplies, GPS, maps)
- Alternative plan based on current conditions
Not included in price:
- Lunch, alcohol & snacks
- Personal ski touring & technical equipment, see equipment list, some gear available for rental
- Dinner in Grindelwald & Brig are not included
- 2 Hotel nights; Grindelwald & Brig, including Breakfast
- Group Luggage transfer from Grindelwald to Brig
- Train fee up to the famous Jungfraujoch above Grindelwald
- Train costs from Gluringen to Brig at the end of our trip
- Transportation and lodging costs prior to meeting
- Any additional lifts, train & taxi costs for guests and guide related to a plan change
- Trip cancellation, adventure travel & rescue insurance, medical insurance
- gratuities for guide or assistant
Alpine Ski-touring or Telemark gear? Which should you use?
If you are a downhill skier then you should use Alpine touring gear. Only if you are already an advanced Telemark skier should you use Telemark gear.
Spring skiing the high alpine of the European Alps offers variable snow conditions. On one particular run, things may go from perfect powder to challenging breakable crust and or variable wind affected snow. When compounded, the variable snow conditions, the long ski touring days and the large day packs all call towards the use of easier skiing set up like alpine touring.
The Berner Oberland provide a fantastic mountain travel experience. The skis become a traveling medium. Alpine touring makes for fast and efficient travel hence contributing to a safer and more successful experience.